Indiana Law Blocking Name Change Challenged by Transgender Man

Indiana Law Blocking Name Change Challenged by Transgender Man

A 31-year-old transgender man is challenging the Indiana law that prevents him from changing his first name to a male name that matches his gender identity, according to an ABC News report. Identified as “John Doe” in the suit, he was brought into Indiana illegally from Mexico at the age of 6 by his parents and was granted asylum by the U.S. government in 2013.


Demanding Proof of Citizenship

The suit alleges that Indiana’s law mandating anyone who is seeking a name change to provide proof of U.S. citizenship is a violation of the Constitution. The federal lawsuit goes further, claiming that because his driver’s license lists him as male but still lists his female name, he has been forced to disclose his private transgender identity to strangers causing embarrassment as well as fears of harassment and violence.


The male gender and female name on his driver’s license is a result of conflicting state and federal laws. When Doe was granted asylum, he was able to have all of his paperwork list him as male as a result of his diagnosis of gender dysphoria. He used these documents to obtain his Indiana driver’s license, but the state will not change his name without a court order.


There is only one other similar state law in the country, from North Dakota. The North Dakota law requires anyone seeking a name change to be a permanent citizen or a resident. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled several times that states are prohibited from treating U.S. citizens and permanent residents differently. Of note, individuals who seek and are granted asylum from the federal government are on track to getting permanent residency.


Transgender advocacy groups note that there is a growing number of foreign-born people from the LGBT community seeking U.S. asylum because of fears of persecution in their country of origin.


Legal Help

If you have experienced an issue with discrimination based on your LGBT status, you should contact a knowledgeable attorney right away. Do not try to fight this on your own – learn about your rights and obligations under state and federal laws.

What Clients Say

I would like to express my appreciation for your assistance in professionally handling my client’s needs for international service of process through the foreign country’s Central Authority, pursuant to the Hague Convention Treaty on the Service Abroad of Judicial and Extrajudicial Documents. I’d also like to express my admiration for your great knowledge of the law in the area of international service of process. From the beginning of the process well over six months ago, through today when the Final…

Isabel Betancourt

I have had the opportunity to deal with Ancillary Legal Corporation for several years now and have been very happy with the service that I received from them. Whenever I need legal papers served, they are my go to company. All of their process servers are professionals in their jobs and Peter and John have many years in the legal support field… Give them a try and you won’t be sorry that you did.

Isabel Betancourt

Add testimonial description here. Edit and place your own text.

Jane Doe